How to move your website from classic hosting to cPanel?
There are several ways to move your website from classic hosting to cPanel. You can do it automatically or manually. Here are a few things you should know before moving your website to cPanel.
- It will take a few hours to complete the process and your website will have some downtime while it is being moved. Therefore, pick a low-traffic time.
- The process of moving website is bit technical. You need to consider having a web developer by your side, especially if your website is complex (e.g. an eCommerce site)
- If your website is database oriented, you will be required to make changes to database connection strings
Step 1 – Get cPanel hosting and setup hosting account
You will need to create a hosting account with any service provider that offers cPanel. The process of creating an account will differ from provider to provider. We are listing some basic steps in creating a hosting account.
- Create a user account with the hosting service provider
- Select the desired hosting plan
- Once your hosting account is created, log in with your username and password
- Next, to your hosting account, click Manage
- Your classic domain name cannot be used with cPanel until it is canceled which is the last step
- You need to create your hosting account with a subdomain. For example, if your domain name is coolsample.com. you can create a subdomain like migration.coolsample.com
- Fill the on-screen fields with appropriate details and click Finish
Move your classic hosting to cPanel
The basic steps to move your classic hosting depends of the website type. The good news is cPanel uses one-click web application installer known as Installatron to move websites.
If your website application is supported by Installatron, you can go ahead and use it. Installatron not only moves your website but also updates the sites settings and database connection strings for you.
Some of the website types supported by Installatron are
Step 2- Moving your website using Installatron
- Log into your cPanel account
- Click Applications to launch Installatron
- Click the icon that corresponds to your website type(WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Magento and other supported website types)
- Click the arrow next to Install this application
- Click Import Existing Install
- From the different account section, click Continue
- Fill the Source section. Enter details like
- URL- your subdomain name like migration.coolsample.com
- Protocol – FTP
- Port – 21
- Path – The path to your site( from the FTP user’s directory)
- Fill the Destination section. Enter details like
- Destination- choose subdomain name from the drop-down menu of the cPanel account
- Directory(optional) – the path or specific directory of the website
- Database Management – ensure that you have selected Automatically create a new database for the installed application
- Once you have checked the entered information is correct, click Import to start migration
- Now you need to cancel your classic hosting account. It may take around 24 hours or more to get the domain name for use again.
- Once the domain name is available for use, you can move the website to the old domain name.
Step 3 – Move your website to old domain name
- Log into your web hosting account
- Click Web hosting
- Click Use your own domain
- Enter the old domain name in the text box
- Click Park Domain
- Click Web hosting
- Click Manage next to your web hosting account name
- In the Software section, click Installatron Applications Installer
- Choose the application you want to move
- In the Destination section, select the current domain and the directory where you want to move the site
- Click Clone