A dedicated server hosting is basically the opposite from shared hosting. This hosting type only serves one website at a time. While this greatly improves the website performance, a dedicated hosting is significantly more expensive than a shared hosting.
A dedicated server hosting can provide you these benefits:
- Optimum performance; since your website is the only one that exists in the server, you can use all resources available in the system for your website, giving a significant performance boost to your website performance.
- Security: a dedicated server hosting allows you to tailor all security measures to your own needs.
A domain name is a friendly, unique identifier to a website that replaces the website’s IP address. For example, 126.96.36.199 is the IP address of HostingIDOL.com website. These numbers are difficult to remember. So, to make the website easier to remember, a domain name is given to the website. In our case, https://hostingidol.com replaces 188.8.131.52.
A good domain name is the one that best reflects your website. It should also be short and easy enough to remember. A good domain name usually contains less than 5 syllables.
You can follow these steps to get a domain name:
- Go to a domain name registrar page, like - https://hostingidol.com/domain/
- Search for your domain name and check if it is still available.
- Pick a domain name from the suggested list and proceed to payment.
A virtual private server (VPS) is a virtual machine inside a physical server that acts like a dedicated hosting server. It has every benefit you can get from a dedicated server and can be customized to fit the customer’s needs. Also, thanks to its own operating system, you can literally install anything on this system.
Here are some benefits of using VPS:
- VPS is more affordable than a dedicated server, but still more expensive than a shared hosting.
- You can customize a VPS and the subscription fees to your liking.
- A VPS gives you more control to your hosting than a shared hosting
As your website grows, you’ll have more needs and traffic. At some point, your shared server will no longer able to support your website. At this point, you need VPS hosting. With more resources, customization options, and controls, VPS will give you more freedom and control over your website, more than a shared hosting. Also, it is easier to configure than a dedicated server.
Here are some major differences between a VPS and dedicated server:
- Since a VPS is basically a shared hosting in all its nature, it shares the same resources with other websites in the system.
- A VPS hosting usually have no more than 2 hosting environments, making it less customizable than dedicated hosting.
- A VPS is easier to configure than a dedicated hosting server.